Pages

Recalling the Midnight Sun

While re-reading through some of my old comics, I ran across yet another obscure character I'd kind of forgotten.  The final story in Silver Surfer Annual #4 (JUL 1991) introduced me to this odd-looking chap with what appeared to be compact discs plastered to his hands and feet.


In that particular story, however, MS didn't fight the Silver Surfer (that, had apparently already happened).  Rather in the Annual, I learned that this seeming hybrid of the Black Panther and the Shroud was some sort of revivified zombie, brought back to life by Kree scientists.  In this story one of the Kree scientists, Kar-Sagg, intends to "fix" Midnight Sun so as to turn him into a more compliant (and therefore, "better") weapon for Kree power.  Unfortunately for the Kree--and me--Midnight Sun did not truly remember who he was.  (This meant I was left to speculate about him on the basis of the random panels depicting images of Midnight Sun fighting Shang Chi.) This tale ended with Midnight Sun asserting his right to self-determination as he fought off the cream of the Kree elite military and then flew off to a solitary moon or asteroid or something to begin his journey of self-discovery.

Reviewing the Annual story piqued my interest enough to look up Comicvine's entry on Midnight Sun.  This confirmed that he'd initially been a rather sympathetic character, sort of an adopted brother to Shang Chi, and that he had--as the flashback in SS Annual #4 confirmed--reluctantly fought Shang Chi in a battle resulting in Midnight Sun's accidental death. 

After that, it sounds like MS's story went kind of bonkers...but in an interesting way.  The Kree somehow seize his corpse and all of a sudden this guy who was a street-level kung-fu fighter is thrust into being a cosmic-level player when he's sent to fight off the Silver Surfer.  Despite the fact that Midnight Sun was ultimately defeated, I just think that's an interesting transition.   Additionally, the whole idea of Midnight Sun having lost his vocal cords and being unable to speak added pathos to his tale (and, honestly, reminded me a lot of Snake Eyes from G.I. Joe.)

Since I got into comics after the hey day of Master of Kung-Fu, I'm curious how those who read that title in its Bronze Age prime reacted to Midnight Sun.  Did you consider him hopelessly derivative, or did you think he was a compelling character?  Also, can someone clue me in on what the deal is with the Kree gluing CDs to his hands and feet?

2 comments:

  1. so the Kree gave him a fedora...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course! You don't build a star-spanning empire without having an appropriate sense of high style. :)

    ReplyDelete