Pages

Fiction Foundry 20

If we hadn't been there--"

Mike's words suddenly choked off, as the tears welled in his eyes and a trembling crept over his body.

"If you hadn't been there, you could've gotten hurt somewhere else...somewhere that no one might have found you in time."  His father said.

"Quite right, Brother Carson," announced a familiar voice from the doorway.

Pastor Leedle shuffled across the floor towards the family, with exactly the same welcoming countenance he'd worn every Sunday for the last nine years.

"Forgive me for intruding...but I happened to be up on the third floor checking on Mrs. Klingleman and one of the nurses told me that you'd woken today.  I thought I might drop by briefly to see how you're all holding up."

"It's no intrusion at all, Pastor. Thanks for stopping by." Jeanine reassured him.

"Here.  Have a seat, Pastor." Big Mike said, vacating his own chair.

"Oh no.  I'll just be a moment. " Leedle said furiously waving his congregant back into the seat.  "I just wanted to drop by to see if you needed anything.  Are you feeling well, Michael?

"Well..." Mike thought for a moment, "Yes sir.  Apart from not liking being in here and feeling a little stiff, I- I guess I'm alright."

"Well that is a blessing, indeed." Leedle replied pensively.  For a moment, the minister's mind seemed lost in another world, but an announcement over the hospital intercom seemed to restore his focus on the present.  "Forgive me. I just...have a lot on my mind.  Would it be alright if we had a quick prayer?"

No comments:

Post a Comment