Pages

Spring Road Webcomic Review Format & Rubric: Part 1

One of my goals in writing this blog was to supply reviews of independent superhero webcomics. However, one of the perennial challenges of writing reviews (almost any kind) is ensuring as high a degree of objectivity as possible, so that different works are dealt with on at least a roughly similar basis. My solution was to draw on my experiences in academia by using a grading rubric.
Once that was decided, I had to ponder, “What qualities or features would my rubric evaluate; and why would I choose those qualities/features rather than some other set?”

My answer to the first question wound up being eight qualities: sustainability, language, violence, sexuality, political leaning, morality, artwork, and storytelling. My answer to the second question is, essentially, “if I care about these things, then there’s probably other people who care about them too.”

In future posts, I intend to go more in-depth on what I mean by each of these qualities and how I assess them...but not just yet.  For now, I'll end with a few words about the synopsis.   

The Synopsis.  


Each review begins with a section I call The Synopsis. This is not, strictly-speaking, part of the rubric. It’s purpose is to supply a broad overview and background to the characters, creators, overall tone, etc.  Some of my synopses (particularly the one for Femme Noir) went on entirely too long.  This year, my intention is to scale way back and keep the synopsis to something nearer the following examples: 

The Synopsis for Miss Melee

Miss Melee is a collaboration between writer Rob Johnson & artist Ariel Guadalupe.  It chronicles the struggles of (at least initially-) retired superheroine Janice (Jan) Jones  who has settled down to work an office job and help husband Mark raise their daughter, Jackie.  The comic updates every Saturday, and explores the "working mom theme" of juggling family, corporate employment, and super-heroing. 


Synopsis for Liberty Lass

Liberty Lass is an unapologetic celebration of patriotism, cast in the Comics Code compliant style of Bronze Age.  Creator Steve Vincent's love for Bronze Age comics goes so far that he even has a fictional company--the Cosmic Comic Company--that "produces" the title. Liberty Lass is a character originally generated for the online gaming world, City of Heroes.  Currently, Vincent has produced five full issues of Liberty Lass.  

No comments:

Post a Comment