Pages

Mad Dog: a supervillain that sounds like he could come out of real life

Earlier this week The Peerless Power of Comics blog posted a short historical overview of one of my favorite minor villains:  Mad Dog.

source: http://www.writeups.org/mad-dog-hellcat-marvel-comics/


I first encountered Buzz "Mad Dog" Baxter through the secondary feature of Solo Avengers # 9 (Aug.
source: http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Solo_Avengers_Vol_1_9
1988).  If memory serves, this is one of the titles I picked up with mom during a grocery store run.

Though never particularly a fan of Hellcat, when paired in a story with her psychotic ex-husband, I'll always take time for the read.

I've pondered sometimes why I found the character of Mad Dog so compelling.  At the simplest level, it might be that his brown-dominated costume was pretty atypical in comics and so it made him stand out a bit.

At another level, however, I suspect that knowing a number of women who have experienced spousal abuse is the real root.  I like the idea of Patsy escaping and strengthening herself.  I recognize the reality of a dangerous possessive person who tracks her relentlessly...who is motivated not by wealth, or global domination, but simply by a desire to destroy one, particular person.

I suspect we've all felt like we had "Mad Dogs" in our own lives.  People who decide for us that living in peace is not possible.  There is no place we can flee to which they will not pursue.  There is no ransom that can be paid so that we might put the conflict behind us and carry on with our lives.

The only option is to quit running.  To turn and face the mad dog down.  To defeat them once-and-for-all, or be killed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment