Pages

Wonder Woman and Moon Girl

Courtesy of Pappy's Golden Age Comics, I read my first Moon Girl story.  The first thing that struck me was how similar Moon Girl looked to Wonder Woman in her color scheme and what not.


Moon Girl
 
Wonder Woman

This got me curious about their respective chronologies and whether one might've influenced the other. 

As it turns out, Wonder Woman appeared in 1941 and Moon Girl not until six years later, so there's a pretty clear chronology there.  

The answer to my next question--whether there was any actual influence or just a similar color scheme--was answered to my satisfaction by a quick look at the Moon Girl entry on Public Domain Superheroes Wiki.
Raised in a small kingdom in a remote part of Samarkand, the girl known as the Princess of the Moon was taught that she came from a long line of women who had been unbeatable in battle. Unfortunately, she wasn't told this until after she had sworn to herself that she would never marry a man unless he was a superior warrior to her.
So...yeah...that pretty much looks like a blatant ripoff of Wonder Woman. 

For those who may be interested, apparently Comixology put out an updated Moon Girl story in 2010.  The description on CBR actually doesn't sound that bad.

I wonder if anyone has considered a Moon Girl meets Moon Knight story?  I mean, if Claire's problem is that she needs to meet a man who can best her in combat, I'm thinkin' Marc Spector could give her a pretty good run for her money.

          




No comments:

Post a Comment