Pages

What I learned about White Tiger this week

While perusing back posts of the (perhaps defunct?) Comics in Crisis blog, I ran across a post by Brian Reaves lamenting the tendency of comic book publishers (especially you, Marvel!) to kill off characters in really stupid ways in pursuit of cheap (and progressively fleeting) sales boosts. 

Through the course of reading Reaves' critique, I learned quite a bit about White Tiger, a character that I had heretofore assumed was created out of thin air to supply a particular type of diversity for the Ultimate Spiderman: Web Warriors cartoon, in the same way that Apache Chief, Samurai, El Dorado, and Black Vulcan did for the Superfriends.


Turns out, Ava Ayala (who, it turns out is actually the fifth holder of the White Tiger mantle--seriously, Marvel, it was a neat concept when Falk pioneered it with the Phantom back in 1936...but c'mon man!) had an older brother named Hector, who was the original 1970s White Tiger


Source: http://www.comicbookreligion.com/?c=15093&White_Tiger_Hector_Ayala

From the little info supplied by Reaves (and some commenters) I think I'd like to learn a little more about old Hector.  

What say you, dear reader?  Would you like to read more about the original White Tiger?  Let me know in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment