Pages

Tachyon, my wayward...son? daughter? it?


Tachyon has always been one of my favorite Force members...perhaps even the favorite.  Unlike Interface, who was cursed with a name that implied tech/computer powers, while he actually possessed elemental manipulation powers, Tachyon had a super-cool name and a defensive power-set that was just different enough to make Tachyon stand out from the likes of Captain Marvel (Monica Rambeau), Binary, etc.

[Tachyon] has the ability to fly and can also reflect any form of energy back to its original source. Tachyon can travel faster-than-light instantaneously, but is only reactive in nature. Having no offensive capabilities, Tachyon can only use its enemies attacks against them. (Tachyon. Comic Vine)
There seems to be quite a bit of confusion out there in comicdom over the nature of Tachyon.  Comic Vine reports Tachyon was a robot (and thus, routinely uses the pronoun "it" to refer to Tachyon.)  The Marvel Wiki, in contrast, posits a much more interesting nature when it theorizes Tachyon is "from a race of human-sized tachyons."  The only point I would quibble with on this is:  if Tachyon is from a "race," then why assume (as the Wiki does) that Tachyon is an "it" rather than a "he" or a "she"?  He might even be some sort of asexual (but non-robotic) being.  I would really love to see a background story fleshing out this (and other) features of Tachyon's history.

All apologies, Dear Reader, I spent over an hour writing out a much longer post on Tachyon and walking you through issues #5 and #6 of Guardians of the Galaxy. Yet somehow, I lost all of the new content. To say I am "disappointed" would be a massive understatement. This, on top of realizing how deep we are in medical debt, has taken the wind out of my sails. I just don't have it in me to re-write everything all over again. Though it pains me to offer such a disservice to my readers (and to my favorite Force member), I'm gonna declare this one of those times in life when "done" is better than "good." Join me again next week for an entry the lady's man of Force: Eighty-Five.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment