Pages

X-23 and Allah

I was reading a post by Ben Smith on the Comics Cube blog, focusing on this (from my perspective) new character of X-23.  As someone who jumped off the regular comic collecting train about 1999, much of this stuff I had no idea about.

In discussing the process by which X-23/Laura passed through the painful process of acceptance at the X-Mansion, he briefly mentions a theological discussion she had with the New Mutant Dust, a devout Muslim.


Yes, even this is a little bit ham-fisted...but it represents the type of theological exploration I wish we saw more of in superhero stories.  While I applaud Marvel for presenting a person of faith as not being a bigot or fool, I wish we saw more of this nuanced story-telling with regard to Christian characters as well.

Here's hoping that such are forthcoming, if not from Marvel or DC, then from the bevy of independent comics being produced by the likes of the good folks at the Christian Comic Arts Society.

No comments:

Post a Comment