Pages

Fiction Foundry 23

If they're still worried about infection, why'd they let her go home at all?  Why are they going to those meetings with Pastor Leedle?"

An awkward silence descended on the wagon.  Outside, Atherton whizzed by as if nothing in the world were changed, but inside time was frozen.

"What?!  What are you not telling me?" Mike finally demanded.

"Son..." Jeanine started, "You have to understand that Mary and Desmond--Mary especially--was injured very badly during the quake.  Mr. and Mrs. Potain have been rather...cool towards us since you kids were hospitalized."

Mike's head and voice dropped, as the unspoken portion of his mother's message dawned on him:  "You mean they blame me for Mary and Desmond's injuries."

"I...ah...I don't know that 'blame' is right word, Mikey," his father chimed in, as he made the familiar right onto Anderson Circle.

"But it isn't the wrong word either, is it?"

Another silent moment passed before Big Mike finally admitted.  "No, son.  No, I guess I can't say it's wrong."

No comments:

Post a Comment