Pages

Fiction Foundry 28

I was just telling Mary and Desmond about how you'd be joining us today."
From the look of things, the excitement was not exactly reaching pandemic levels. While Desmond simply didn't look at Mike, Mary made a positive point of looking in the opposite direction of wherever he was situated.

"Why don't you have a seat right over here?  We'll make a space."  Leedle was strategically placing Mike between himself and Desmond--in other words, as far away from Mary as possible.

When the shuffling chairs finally fell silent, the pastor resumed.  "Now then, let's get started. Mary, I believe you had mentioned having a follow-up meeting with the doctor last week.  How've you feeling since that?"

"I haven't been able to sleep much at all.  The pain doctor thinks I'm starting to acclimate to the meds, so I'm stuck between not taking as many--which means I get almost no sleep; or going ahead and taking them so I can sleep, at the risk of losing their effectiveness that much quicker.  It was bad enough to learn I'd never walk again," (Mary looked directly at Mike for the first time as she recited that sentence.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment