Pages

Around the Web: rise and fall of the Marvel Universe

A while back I read this great analysis on what went wrong with Marvel Comics by Chris Tolworthy.  Its a part of his larger website dedicated to the Fantastic Four--especially a celebration of their early years.

Admittedly, this is a long read...but if you nerd out over this stuff like I do, I think you'll find it worth the time investment.  Basically, Tolworthy's premise is that the thing that really made Marvel stand out from DC originally was grounding stories in space and time and a commitment to storyline continuity--across all the Marvel titles.   This meant that characters and story plots could emerge over years...decades even.  Characters grew and changed.  They made choices and those choices had real consequences that affected the entire Marvel universe...much like real life.

My sense is that Tolworthy's critique is pretty accurate.  I know when I got into comics in the late 80s, one of the things that really intrigued me (and kept me spending hours in the comic shop) was the interconnectedness of the Marvel universe.  I wanted to go back and guy all kinds of back issues to fill in gaps...and doing so never felt like wasted effort.  I saw myself as being progressively initiated into the literature of Marvel. 

Probably the single most critical factor in killing my passion for Marvel comics--even beyond the ridiculously jacked up prices--was the hatchet job they did on continuity.  Nothing seems important anymore because everything changes all the time...and no story line can be assumed to have any long-term significance.  When that's what you've created...who wants to spend even $4-5 per issue?  Not only is it not a sound financial "investment" (which, of course, was a ridiculous notion in the first place) it's not even a sound entertainment/literary investment. 

Do you guys think?


No comments:

Post a Comment